- Around Town
- Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School as National STEM Showcase School
- Tigger House Foundation Fights Heroin and Prescription Opioid Epidemic
- DermOne Welcomes Fitzgeraldo Sanchez, MD
- Ask The Experts
- Ask The Expert - Hiren Patel, M.D.
- Ask The Expert - Dearborn Market
- AskThe Experts - Frank D'Aponte
- Bay Wellness
- Bay Wellness - Genital Warts
- Bay Wellness - How Can An Ultrasound Help?
- Bay Wellness - Making Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Best Bets
- 2016 Guide - Ocean Place Resort and Spa
- The Guide 2015 - World Jeep
- The Guide 2015 - 732-Express
- Day Tripper - Balloon Flights
- Day Tripper - The Staten Island Childrens Museum
- Day Tripper - FRENCHTOWN
- The Monmouth EatBeat - Trinity Restaurant
- Staten Island EatBeat - Campania Coal Fired Pizza
- Eats: Branches Catering
- Featured Artist
- Featured Artist - Perry Balog
- Featured Artist - Grace Your Space
- Featured Artist - Dorothy Kaplan
- Gift Guide
- Gift Guide - A and J Landscaping
- Best Bet - NY Chiropractic & Physical Therapy
- Gift Guide - The Towne Florist
- Health Talk
- Health Blog - Joseph T. Mormino, D.D.S.
- Health Talk - Mark Song, M.D.
- Health Blog - Michael Mortensen, Visage Hair Studio NYC
- Holiday Buzz 2015
- Holiday Fun in the City: NYC & PHL
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
- Holiday Buzz - Sights & Sounds of the Season
- Living in Colts Neck
- It's All in the Details
- Writing a Legacy with Superintendent Dick Fitzpatrick
- Home at Last
- Newsletter Articles
- SnowBird Style: Jeff and Mary Schulsinger
- Home Staging
- The Home - Landscaping by Mike Pantina
- People On The Move
- People On The Move - Jon Hornik
- People on the Move: Christine Schultz
- People on the Move: Ibrahim Naboulsi
- Summer Guide
- Best Bet - The Boondocks Fishery Red Bank
- Summer Guide - The Beach is Back
- Gateway National Park at Sandy Hook
- The Bay
- The Bay - Can The Weight Be Over?
- The Bay - $1 Million Emergency Department Expansion Opens
- The Bay - Could I Have Diabetes and Not Even Know it?
- The Guide
- The Guide 2015 - Bedford Tax Services
- The Guide 2015 - LaRocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg
- Best Bet - David Burkes Fromagerie
- The Home Guide
- The Home Guide - casale TILE
- The Home Guide - A and J Remodeling Services
- The Home Spotlight - Select Technology Group
People On The Move: Wendy Neuberger and Stephanie Phillips
TURNING A SIMPLE IDEA INTO REALITY
Watch out Holmdel! Two local entrepreneurs are about to put you on the map. Meet Wendy Neuberger and Stephanie Phillips, designers and creators of the disposable toothbrush holder. If youve ever wondered where to keep your toothbrush while traveling then keep reading. This invention promises to keep your toothbrush bristles clean and dry. You havent seen their product in hotels or amenity stores yet, but keep your eyes open; pretty soon itll be just as popular as disposable utensils.
Wendy and Stephanie, two Holmdel moms (with two children each) have been living in Holmdel for more than two decades combined. Both ambitious women had successful careers, as a speech therapist and meeting planner, respectively, at McGraw Hill, until they had children and took on their next important rolesplaying mom. When their kids started getting older and advancing in the Holmdel school district, these stay-at home moms were ready to move forward with their careers again, only this time they wanted to try something different. With full force, Wendy and Stephanie ventured into the world of business. What better time to do it than in this economy? They are guaranteed to hold onto their jobs, since they are the only two people in the company.
These leading ladies didnt start their business yesterday. It has been 2 years since their adventure began, and the road has been filled with bumps and turns. The idea came to Wendy and Stephanie since they are both avid travelersalways on the go. When they stayed in hotels, they wondered where to keep their toothbrushes without resting them on a dirty counter or in a glass. The idea for a disposable toothbrush holder hit them while discussing the issue on a long walk for Breast Cancer in New York City.
First, Wendy and Stephanie needed to put their product idea on paper, find a lawyer, patent it, and finally, secure a manufacturer willing to make the prototype at a reasonable cost. United States manufacturers wanted to overcharge for the sample toothbrush holders, so Wendy and Stephanie found resources in China where their creation could be made at a low enough cost to be profitable. If youve never invented something this may sound like a nightmare, but it wasnt for these two determined women. Their biggest obstacle wasnt even creating a name for their company (W & S Designs). That was simple, Stephanie says, pointing to the monogram logo where her initial appears second to Wendys. Theres already a company name that is S &W, so W & S would suffice.
The most complicated part of the process, they said, came at The Javits Center showcase last November, when they argued over throwing out a carpet or not. So far, that argument has been the roughest part of their journey as entrepreneurs. Wouldnt everyone wish for that to be their biggest issue? Wendy and Stephanie did say that there were times they wanted to throw in the towel, but their hard work, persistence, time, and effort kept them going. As they like to put it, Nothing comes easy.
Thats a lesson theyve taught their [collective] four children in these past 2 years. Their kids have watched as their mothers spent countless hours writing, researching, and making business phone calls. Wendy and Stephanies persistence has taught their kids to keep trying, and eventually good fortune will follow. Their success has already inspired other Holmdel residents to follow their dreams. Wendy and Stephanie said that some other friends are now working on creating businesses, too.
Right now, W & S Designs is pitching the disposable toothbrush holder, meeting with hotel management leaders and amenity distributors. So, look out hotel housekeeping your carts will soon be filled with W & S Designs!
Wendy Bay Avenue Trattoria,Highlands
Stephanie Copper Canyon,Atlantic Highlands
Wendy Eric Clapton
Stephanie Billy Joel
Wendy Bridget Jones Diary
Stephanie Pretty Woman
Wendy no place to keep your toothbrush at a hotel;
Stephanie cars that take up two parking spaces
THREE PEOPLE YOUD LIKE TO HAVE DINNER WITH
Wendy Zadie Smith,Ina Gardner, and Al Gore;
Stephanie Ellen Degeneres, Oprah Winfrey, and Jim Carrey
Powered by eDirectory™